Powered By Blogger

Saturday 15 November 2014

RIP GRANDPA GORDON NORM PRETTY - My first hero and role model

My Grandfather was a humble man, he never needed to be the centre of attention. In life and now in death, I'm not sure he would want us to focus on him; and I know he wouldn't want us to centre our attention on the sadness of his passing. So I've instead chosen to focus on the happiness that he brought into all of our lives and the indelible mark and impression that he made on our family and the way that we not only care and appreciate one another but also our country and community.

See, Grandpa was the patriarch of this family - a father, husband, provider, soldier, gentleman, grandfather.  I remember as a child when I was just a little boy, he would entertain Eric and I with stories of his adventures as a soldier fighting in World War II. A master storyteller he was - tales of woe, fortitude, sometimes unexpected fun, bravery, ... adventure. As two little boys from the countryside of Chatham-Kent, we were captivated; totally in awe with the things our grandpa had done, seen and places he had been.

Grandpa was my first hero (Eric's too).  Every visit to the Wabash farm Grandpa would take us around with him, play with us - perhaps to the dismay of mom, he introduced us to the World Wrestling Federation and the likes of Hulk Hogan, the Ultimate Warrior and the 'Macho Man' Randy Savage. We'd enact what we saw: Grandpa lifting Eric and I into the air together, each of us hanging from one of his biceps. The wrestling would inevitably end with all of us herding upstairs for a huge, delicious meal that Grandma had prepared. 

When I think of my Grandpa, I understand why I have such a great mom; why it is that my mother has such a loving spirit. Grandpa was courageous and brave. He was selfless and kind.  His sacrifice will never be forgotten. He was a great teacher to have, not only for my mom and all of us, but also for everybody else. He loved being a parent to his 8 children and a grandparent to his 18 grandchildren. It was his calling in life.

Though I've gotten older and both time and circumstance have pushed me further from home, I've always looked forward to my holiday visits - to seeing Grandpa, sitting at the poker table with his broad smile, home-brew in hand, and my uncles by his side. Like all of you, I will miss him dearly and it pains me to know that we've shared our last hug 'hello'; he was so much fun to be around, he loved to laugh and to have fun and I adored him. But a man as humble, loving and fun as Grandpa will always be remembered by those of us who knew him and loved him. Although we will miss him, his smile, his stories, his jokes, his love, we take consolation in the good feelings of our memories.

"Sorrow comes in great waves...but it rolls over us, and though it may almost smother us, it passes and we remain." - Henry James



Grandpa, I will always miss you. But I have so many wonderful memories to hang on to. You were my first hero, a role model and a great friend. Your guidance and love will carry me through to the end of my days.

I love you Grandpa, until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask yourself the fundamental question: "Who am I?"

Once you have your answer, begin to live your life with congruency.